Wednesday 12 October 2011

Spencer's Quilt


Made this quilt for our Kourageous Kids' Calendar project. Some of our Langley Guild members duplicate the drawings done by children being treated for cancer at the Children's Hospital -these drawings were all in a calendar made to raise money for their "Balding for Dollars" campaign.
I chose this drawing as I loved the colours Spencer had used and especially the fancy race car with the flames. Spencer loved his dog, playing hockey and drawing, so there were also fabrics in his quilt to represent his interests. While I was making the quilt, I had a feeling that Spencer had not survived his bout with cancer and did find out afterwards that it was true. When the quilts were presented to either the children or their families, Spencer's Aunt was there to receive it as his family had embarked on a year long journey on their sailboat to help in their grief and recovery. I found out that Spencer had fought his cancer for 4 years, but died at the age of 11 years. Afterwards I received a lovely card of thanks from his family, thanking me for taking the time to recreate his drawing and giving them a memento of it that they would treasure forever. It was very touching. I still try to make one of these quilts every year as these kids really deserve something as they fight this disease -it's not fun or easy and they rarely complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis